The new Banus family arrived home Saturday Dec 17th and quickly settled in. My parents had driven in from Ooltewah and were happy to make meals and help out around the house for a few days. Dad, Todd and I went out on Sunday to get a Christmas tree. The good thing about not getting a tree until almost Christmas is that you can get the biggest tree there is at a cheap cheap price, so we did. Pawpaw had brought with him a box of iris bulbs, so he made fast work of planting them near our back fence for us to enjoy in the spring. Laurel was such a happy, quiet baby. She would sleep anywhere and wasn't picky about much of anything. I am pretty sure that Mia and Pawpaw fell deeply in love over the next few days. They left Thursday (22nd) morning. I honestly cannot remember much of those first few days other than changing diapers and trying to stay comfortable.
 |
| First bath at home 12.18.11 |
 |
| Four maternal generations 12.21.11 |
 |
| Pawpaw and Laurel 12.19.11 |
 |
| Megan, Laurel, and myself |
On Christmas Eve, my dear friend Megan and her husband Sky dropped in for a quick visit to meet sweet Laurel. Later that day James, Gretchen, and Harrison showed up bringing the excitement of a three year old. Gretchen was a dream, helping in every possible way. We enjoyed each others company and good food, made better by the fact I did nothing to prepare but was helpful in the consumption. Harrison, who is normally a very rambunctious little boy, was tender and sweet with Laurel. Seeing these new cousins together warmed my heart. The best Christmas gift was to have my big brother and family in our home loving on one another. Second best gift was the beautiful turquoise earrings Todd got to match my "push present."
 |
| Christmas Dinner 12.25.11 |
|
I was sad to see Gretchen, James, and Harrison leave on Monday. Laurel and I had only one day alone and then Todd's parents arrived from San Antonio on Wednesday. Nonni and Poppi were not immune to Laurels charisma!
 |
| Papi and Nonni |
Two days after their arrival Laurel was scheduled for her two week check up. Todd was thankfully able to go with me. As they checked her weight, I got very anxious. Laurel had LOST weight! The doctors expect babies to have at least gained their birth weight back, instead Laurel had gone from 7lbs3oz to 6lbs15oz. Not the end of the world, but the doctor was concerned and wanted Laurel to come back in another week to check on her weight. I thought breastfeeding had been going so well and felt defeated.
 |
| First bath |
Much to mine and Laurel's benefit, Kay is a lactation consultant. She did not realize that she would be working during our visit! I thought I may lose my mind between feedings, pumping, maybe an hour break and then back through the cycle. Thanks to Kays help and expertise, Laurel and I were able to figure out the whole breastfeeding thing and within just a few days Laurels weight was above birth weight. If anyone ever tells you breastfeeding is easy.... well just send them my way and I can tell them it is not always easy or natural. Todd's folks flew back to Texas on January 2nd, leaving me wondering if I could handle life with a 2 week old without any help.
 |
| Wool booties from Auntie Megs 12.28.11 |
 |
| 12.30.11 Swinging (thanks McMillans) |
 |
| December 30, 2011 |
 |
| Friend Addy comes to visit Laurel |
No comments:
Post a Comment